Sunday, June 12, 2011

It almost turns my head out of joint...

When surfing foreign websites, my most considerate computer politely offers to translate the text into English. I can't resist for sheer entertainment value...

It almost turns my head out of joint when you look at the ceilings of the Tessin Palace. A lavish pictorial world of Baroque is opening up. With the help of skilled restorers have cracks in the color disappeared and ceilings restored.

Lost in translation? Not at all. In fact, I think it just adds to the charm.

But I digress... the following images, showing details of the recently restored ceiling in the Palace of Nicodemus Tessin the Younger in Stockholm, speak for themselves. And, it tickles me that in the translation, the pre-restored condition of the ceiling is termed an 'injury'. It is a rather good credo with respect to rehabilitation, reclamation and preservation...

A piece of the parlor cornice


The Atrium



The Philosopher Diogenes
All images and research from here

1 comment:

  1. Here's a fun party trick:

    Translate one of your posts into another language using Google Translate. Then translate it back into English. Hilarity ensues.

    The images remind me of some of the locations featured in Alain Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad.

    http://www.criterion.com/films/1517-last-year-at-marienbad

    ReplyDelete